Green Bay in Brown County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Milwaukee Road Passenger Depot
—Fox River Trail —
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad…
later known as the Milwaukee Road came to Green Bay in 1873.
This depot was built in 1898 and was the only passenger depot located on the east side of the river. It served as a passenger depot from 1898 to 1938 (approximately 10 passenger trains per day) and again from 1945 to 1946 (about 12 passenger trains per day). After the decline of passenger railway service, the passenger depot closed but continued as a freight depot.
The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad had a monopoly on freight service for Green Bay's east side throughout the period of rail dominance in area transportation. Its "Alley Track," established in 1889 was a freight line that extended north along the east side of the Fox River through the central Green Bay commercial and industrial district, providing service to businesses along Washington Street and north.
It served major wholesalers such as the Hurlbut Company, the Morley-Murphy Hardware Company and Joannes Brothers' wholesale grocer.
The building is an excellent example of Flemish Renaissance Revival architecture and served as the office for the Association of Commerce (which later became the Chamber of Commerce) from 1957 to 2008. The building placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
Location. 44° 30.634′ N, 88° 1.126′ W. Marker is in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in Brown County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Washington Street and Crooks Street. Touch for map. Located on Fox River Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Green Bay WI 54301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milwaukee Road Depot (here, next to this marker); Freimann Hotel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Packers Office Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Vice Admiral James H. Flatley Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Augustin de Langlade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Influence of the Fur Trade (about 400 feet away); Elks Club (about 500 feet away); Bank Of Wisconsin (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green Bay.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Historic markers along the Fox River Trail.
Also see . . . Fox River Trail. (Submitted on June 27, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 7, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,083 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on June 27, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 3, 4. submitted on June 10, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 7, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 8. submitted on June 6, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 9. submitted on January 7, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.