The Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan
The church was consecrated by the Right Reverend Henry Benjamin Whipple, first Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota. On Christmas Eve of 1869 the first worship service included the wedding of Miss Nellie Barrows and Captain Oakford.
On January 23, 1870, the Parish of the Good Samaritan was formally organized. Many of Sauk Centre's founding families were among the more than fifty original members. The Gothic Revival architecture, combined with the fifty-foot steeple on the east end of the building, brought a kind of old world charm to the frontier town. The stained-glass windows were shipped from Pennsylvania and hauled to Sauk Centre by ox team from the nearest rail point. Only the window in the sacristy is an original, given in memory of Mrs. Rachel Moore by her son Alexander.
This small parish has had a strong ministry of music under the leadership of Dr. John Carton Grant, organist and choirmaster for more than thirty years until his death in 1984. The Episcopal Choirmaster's Handbook, devised by Dr. Grant
Erected 1997 by Parish of the Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan.
Location. 45° 44.017′ N, 94° 57.097′ W. Marker is in Sauk Centre, Minnesota, in Stearns County. Marker is on Main Street S., on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 529 Main Street S., Sauk Centre MN 56378, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sinclair Lewis (approx. 0.4 miles away); Boyhood Home of Sinclair Lewis (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sinclair Lewis Boyhood Home (approx. 0.4 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 505 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.