Fort Ripley in Crow Wing County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Originally known as Fort Marcy and later Fort Gaines, the name was changed to Fort Ripley in 1850. Its presence encouraged further settlement of Euro-American immigrants. With demands to open more land for settlement, the fort was briefly closed, but concerns about conflict between the new immigrants and the Ojibwe caused it to be reoccupied.
During the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862 settlers took shelter in the fortís frame buildings fearing mistakenly that the Ojibwe would join the war. A fire destroyed most of the buildings in 1877, and Fort Ripley was abandoned in 1880. The masonry ruins of a powder magazine are the only visible remains although a rich archaeological site still exists. The site is now within Camp Ripley Military Reservation operated by the Minnesota National Guard.
Erected 2003 by The Minnesota
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 10.781′ N, 94° 21.882′ W. Marker is in Fort Ripley, Minnesota, in Crow Wing County. Marker is on Ferry Road 0.2 miles south of Minnesota Highway 371, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Fort Ripley Boat Landing. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Ripley MN 56449, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 99th Infantry Battalion (Sep) activated at Camp Ripley August 1942 (approx. 6.9 miles away); Belle Prairie Church and Log Cabin (approx. 10.2 miles away); Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception (approx. 10.2 miles away); Holy Family Parish (approx. 10.2 miles away); Log Cabin (approx. 10.2 miles away); Site of Foundation of the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception (approx. 10.2 miles away); The Bell (approx. 10.2 miles away); The Monument (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,129 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 29, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.