Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Philip Thomas Schley

 
 
Philip Thomas Schley Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. Philip Thomas Schley Marker
Inscription. This house was built circa 1840 on the present site of First Presbyterian Church, by Philip Thomas Schley. Capt. Schley came to Columbus in 1834 at the request of his brother, Georgia Gov. William Schley, to command the Muscogee Blues, a militia company active in the Indian Wars. In 1858 Capt. Schley sold his lot to the Presbyterians and had his house dismantled, moved and rebuilt at this site, 1445 Second Avenue. The house was later owned by the family of James H. Warner, who had been Chief Engineer of the Confederate Naval Iron Works in Columbus.
 
Erected 1987 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Historic Columbus Foundation.
 
Location. 32° 28.442′ N, 84° 59.429′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Avenue (Georgia Route 85) and 15th Street, on the left when traveling north on Second Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1445 Second Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rankin House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ernest Woodruff / Robert Winship Woodruff (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of Robert Winship Woodruff
Philip Thomas Schley Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
2. Philip Thomas Schley Marker
Looking north on Second Street; the next block was formerly filled with interesting older houses.
(about 400 feet away); Haiman's Sword Factory (about 400 feet away); High Uptown Historic District / Garrett-Bullock-Delay House (about 400 feet away); Bullard-Hart-Sampson House (about 600 feet away); General Benning (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Columbus (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Philip Thomas Schley Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
3. Philip Thomas Schley Marker
Looking south on Second Avenue toward downtown Columbus; the Illges house, built in 1850, is visible on the opposite site of the street.
Philip Thomas Schley Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1991
4. Philip Thomas Schley Marker
The marker in 1991, when old houses are visible in the next block. All are now gone; the west side of the 1500 block of Second Avenue is a parking lot.
Philip Thomas Schley Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
5. Philip Thomas Schley Marker
The marker with the Schley House
Philip Thomas Schley House image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
6. Philip Thomas Schley House
Built sometime between 1830 and 1840, and moved to this site around 1858.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 685 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement