Norcross in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Inscription. Sunset Drive, originally known as Church Street, and later “Holy Row” has a long and storied past. On November 5, 1875 Norman Flavius Cooledge, an educator, bought the parcel of land (currently the site of the Summerour House) on the corner of North Peachtree Street and Sunset Drive (then Church Street) from John J. Thrasher, Norcross’ founder, for $66. This was the site of the original school house which had been established by Professor Vincent in 1872. On the rear of the property, the Masonic Lodge occupied a portion of the two-story building, known as the Community House which had been erected in 1871, until they relocated to Downtown Norcross in 1909. The remainder of the building was used by the Baptist Church, which was formed on May 17, 1872 when a group of seventeen people, including Mr. Thrasher and Mr. Cooledge met in the building for the purpose of forming a church. William N. Davis was the first pastor and Mr. Cooledge was a Sunday School Superintendent. The Community House was also used by the Methodist Church and the Presbyterian Church for a period of time, prior to building their own facilities. As the town grew, more churches were added and Mr. Thrasher wanted to provide homes for the pastors. Further down Church Street he laid out five four-acre tracts of land, built houses on them, and presented them to the pastors of the local churches. This is how Church Street became known as “Holy Row” and remained as such until it was renamed Sunset Drive in 1962. The Community House which housed the Masonic Lodge and the early churches later burned and the area was then used by the City Water Service for their water tank.
By David Seibert, July 14, 2007
1. "Holy Row" Marker
Erected by City of Norcross, Gwinnett County, Georgia.
Location. 33° 56.748′ N, 84° 12.766′ W. Marker is in Norcross, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. Marker is at the intersection of Sunset Drive and North Peachtree Street, on the right when traveling west on Sunset Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 197 Sunset Drive, Norcross GA 30071, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thrasher Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Brunswick Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); National Register of Historic Places – City of Norcross (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Norcross Presbyterian Church Circa 1899 (approx. ¼ mile away); Garrard's Cavalry at Buchanan's (approx. 3.3 miles away); State R.R. Survey (approx. 3.7 miles away); The History of the Miniature Train Company (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norcross.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 843 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on July 3, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photo 1. submitted on March 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?