Paterson in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Allied Textile Printing Site
On April 1, 2009 President Obama signed into law the Paterson Great Falls Historical Park Act. This new unit of the National Park Service will be managed by a partnership between the National Park Service and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection in collaboration with the City of Paterson and other local interests. The Great Falls National Park designation, along with a long-term plan for restoration and development in the surrounding neighborhoods, helps set the stage for private investment that can help revitalize Paterson.
[ Sidebar: ]
Several pictures appear on the marker. The captions are as follows:
From above the Great Falls
The terrace at the south end of the site was the first location that permitted the return of water back to the river. This is thought to be the site of the early sawmill and the millerís house. Both of these buildings were small by todayís standards, with an approximately 20 feet-square sawmill and a 2½ story millerís house made of square-cut logs. These buildings were connected to each other and the rest of the complex by a rough road of stone and logs.
The mid-eighteenth century also saw the establishment of the Todd & Raftery's Machine Company on the Passaic riverbank. The larger machine works, later referred to as Todd Mill included a foundry, blacksmith shops, and various support buildings. The Todd Machine Shop supplied textile making machinery, steam engines and all types of manufacturing machinery to Pattersonís mills as well as factories across America and across the world. The business closed down in the mid-1890ís.
The Colt Gun Mill was built in 1836 by Samuel Coltís company, the Patent
Silk weaving and the dyeing and finishing of fabric were the primary industries in Paterson during the 20th century. In 1938 Allied Textile Printers, Inc. was formed through the merger of several small to mid-sized textile interests in Paterson. The Standard Dyeing & Finishing Company was established in the 1960ís from ATP assets, and occupied the large dye houses at the south of the complex. Financial problems forced the termination of all operations in 1982. Fire, time, and the elements have reduced the once thriving industrial complex to its current state.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paterson NJ 07501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “Louís On First” (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christopher Columbus Monument (about 700 feet away); Federici Park (about 700 feet away); Harry B. Haines Memorial Park (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named The Allied Textile Printing Site (about 800 feet away); Overlook Park (about 800 feet away); Great Falls of the Passaic/S.U.M. Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 1914 S.U.M. Great Falls Power Plant (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paterson.
More about this marker. The background of the marker contains a map of the complex showing the Historical Mill Buildings and the Mill Complex Footprint in 1983. The site of the marker is shown on the map, as well as the Passaic River; Middle and Lower Raceways; Colt Gun Mill; Mallory Mill; Waverly Mill; Passaic Mill and Todd Mill.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 727 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 3, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.