Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The First Police Station

 
 
The First Police Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 24, 2011
1. The First Police Station Marker
Inscription. 1863 marked the beginning of the first organized Police Force in the city. The council named a captain and three patrolmen to serve from twilight to daybreak. On this site was located the first city Police Station. It contained three iron cages on the first floor devoted to male offenders with the upper floor being reserved for female law violators.
 
Erected by Fraternal Order of Police.
 
Location. 41° 4.774′ N, 85° 8.313′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is on East Berry Street west of South Clinton Street (U.S. 27), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Berry Street, Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Journal Gazette Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mother George (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Canal House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cathedral of Immaculate Conception (approx. mile away); The Last Two American Forts/The Siege of 1812 (approx. mile away); Old Fort Wayne Well
The First Police Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 24, 2011
2. The First Police Station Marker
(approx. mile away); The Site of General Wayne's Fort (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pirogue Landing (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
 
Categories. Government
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement