Kendleton in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
During the Texas Revolution, in 1836, Santa Anna's Mexican Army camped near here. Later the settlements of Oak Hill and Humbolt existed briefly.
Kendleton began during Civil War reconstruction when Wm. E. Kendall sold land, for as little as 50 cents an acre, to freed Negroes in starting their own farms. The rural village was named in his honor when the railroad came through, 1884.
Erected 1969 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9002.)
Location. 29° 26.852′ N, 96° 0.023′ W. Marker is in Kendleton, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is on Loop State Highway 541 north of U.S. 59. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kendleton TX 77451, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Kendleton (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Powell Point School (approx. 2.5 miles away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. Wharton County Courthouse (approx. 11.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Rosenberg (approx. 13.8 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,570 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 21, 2008, by Samuel Collins III of Hitchcock, Texas. 2. submitted on December 30, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on January 21, 2008, by Samuel Collins III of Hitchcock, Texas. 4. submitted on December 4, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 14, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.