Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
97th Ohio Infantry
Wagner's Brig. - Sheridan's Div.
—4th Corps. —
Wagner's Brig., Sheridan's Div., 4th Corps.
Lieutenant Colonel Milton Barnes.
Nov. 25, 1863.
The Regiment participated in the advance of the 23d November on the enemy's central line, and with its brigade in the storming of Missionary Ridge, reaching the summit to the left of Gen. Bragg's Headquarters, capturing 150 prisoners, and immediately marching in pursuit of the enemy on the Bird's Mill Road, it took part in dislodging the enemy's rear-guard from the next ridge to the east. Strength in action: 23 Officers, 411 Men. Casualties; Killed, 16 Men; Wounded 9 Officers, 124 Men; Total 149.
Erected 1908 by the State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-311.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Missionary Ridge, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 marker series.
Location. 35° 1.229′ N, 85° 15.71′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of South Crest Road and Sheridan Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Crest Road. Touch for map. This historical marker (tablet) is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Massenburg's Georgia Battery (here, next to this marker); Reynolds' Brigade (here, next to this marker); 64th Ohio Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Havis' Georgia Battery (about 300 feet away); 65th Ohio Infantry. (about 300 feet away); 22nd Illinois Infantry (about 400 feet away); 125th Ohio Infantry (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named 97th Ohio Infantry (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “3' x 2' bronze inscription tablet with decorative border. Describes the unit's activities on November 25, 1863."
According to the location information provided by the National Park Service, the tablet, "Was originally located on South Crest Road/1935 Map 134. It was removed and stored in 1964, when the interstate was constructed. The stand was placed at its current location
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 5, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.