West Nyack in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ancient Indian trails intersected at this place adjoining a large Indian village which extended to the Hackensack Creek. Early in the 18th century the De Clark family built a gristmill on these premises, scene of the last witchcraft trial in New York state c. 1816. The hamlet surrounding the De Clark farm was called Clarkstown. In 1870 George Washington and his troops encamped on the drill grounds east of the mill pond.
Erected by Historical Society of Rockland County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
Location. 41° 6.235′ N, 73° 58.349′ W. Marker is in West Nyack, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of Strawtown Road and Germonds Road (County Route 27), on the left when traveling north on Strawtown Road. Touch for map. Marker is at the southwest corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: West Nyack NY 10994, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pye's Corner (here, next to this marker); Washington’s Encampment (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarkstown Reformed Church West Nyack World War I Memorial (about 800 feet away); The Old Parsonage (approx. 0.2 miles away); West Nyack's Last Horse Trough (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of New Hempstead (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Clarkstown Reformed Church Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Nyack.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 881 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.