New City in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Martinus Hogenkamp Cemetery
This cemetery, named after an early owner of the land, began in the 18th century as a family or community burial ground. Abandoned and forgotten, it was rescued by the Martinus Hogenkamp Cemetery Association. Several stones are inscribed in Dutch, the language of many Rockland colonists. Nine soldiers of the American Revolution and five of the Civil War are buried here.
in 1916 and incorporated in 1931.
Erected by Historical Society of Rockland County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
Location. 41° 8.191′ N, 74° 0.031′ W. Marker is in New City, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Little Tor Road and Collyer Avenue, on the left when traveling north on S. Little Tor Road. Touch for map. The cemetery and marker is located adjacent to the Park Evangelical Free Church. Marker is in this post office area: New City NY 10956, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collyer Farm Pond and New City Park (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rockland County Korea - World War II - Vietnam Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Rockland County Veterans Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Rockland County Law Enforcement Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Rockland County Court House (approx. 0.9 miles away); In Grateful Recognition (approx. 0.9 miles away); New City World War I Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); New Hempstead Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New City.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 670 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.