Congers in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Congers School opened in 1928 as a high school. Students came from as far away as West Nyack and Tappan, often traveling by train to the Congers Station. Centralization of Clarkstown’s schools resulted in the building of the Clarkstown Junior-Senior High School (later named Clarkstown North), and in June 1954 the Congers High School closed. The building underwent a transition o an elementary school. In the fall of 1954, grades K-3 were transferred from the adjacent Congers Elementary School. By the fall of 1957, all grades, K-6, had been transferred. In April 1958, the two-story wooden structure that had served as the hamlet’s elementary school since 1903 was razed.
Erected by The Historical Society of Rockland County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
Location. 41° 9.045′ N, 73° 56.649′ W. Marker is in Congers, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Road (County Route 80) and Grant Avenue S, on the left when traveling west on Lake Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Congers Elementary School. Marker is in this post office area: Congers NY 10920, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Congers World War I Memorial (here, next to this marker); Kings Highway (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congers Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Snedeker Farm (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Paul’s Church (approx. half a mile away); Paul Farmhouse (approx. one mile away); Congers Lake Dam (approx. one mile away); Doctor Davies Farm (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Congers.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 739 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.