Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1779 a large French fleet under Count d`Estaing anchored off Tybee for two months during the siege of Savannah by the French and American forces. In the War Between the States, Federal troops erected batteries here for the reduction of nearby Fort Pulaski. Troops were trained on Tybee Island during both World Wars.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-62.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 1.307′ N, 80° 50.664′ W. Touch for map. Located at Fort Screven parking lot opposite the Tybee Island Lighthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry Sims Morgan (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Screven (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Tybee Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Screven Bakery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Screven (approx. 0.3 miles away); Federal Batteries on Tybee Island (approx. 1.6 miles away); A Turning Point In History (approx. 1.6 miles away); Long Range Artillery Duel (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
Also see . . . Tybee Island, Wikipedia entry. is the easternmost point in the state of Georgia home to the first of what became the Days Inn chain of hotels, the oft-photographed Tybee Island Light Station, and the Fort Screven Historic District. (Submitted on July 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 542 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 11, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.