Saint Paul in Ramsey County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Port of Saint Paul
First named after a series of early local merchants, the site at the foot of the Jackson St. was later known simply as the "Lower Landing". In 1940, it was formally renamed for Col. George C. Lambert, champion of the river's 9-foot channel, which allows for commercial navigation. Congress approved the barge channel in 1930, fostering a vital and vibrant commercial transportation link that continues to this day.
Saint Paul Port Authority
Reinvesting in a Working River
Erected 1997 by Saint Paul Port Authority.
Location. 44° 56.764′ N, 93° 5.063′ W. Marker is in Saint Paul, Minnesota, in Ramsey County. Marker can be reached from Warner Road (County Highway 37) east of Jackson Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to Union Depot Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hackett Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jacob Fahlstrom (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Paul Rubber Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Northern Pacific Railway Warehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Reverend Lucien Galtier (approx. ¼ mile away); Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Paul.
Also see . . .
1. Mississippi National River and Recreation Area. Lambert's Landing. "The good landing spots near the cliffs coupled with the rapids and falls further upstream made St. Paul the 'end of the line' for Mississippi River steamboat traffic. During the 1800s, St. Paul's Lower Landing was one of the busiest steamboat landings in the United States." (Submitted on July 9, 2011.)
2. US Army Corps of Engineers. Navigation. (Submitted on July 9, 2011.)
Additional keywords. Lowertown
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 954 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 9, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.