Kothmann Homesite and Cemetery
Located on their former homestead, the Kothmann Cemetery is all that remains of the original ranch site. Containing only five graves, all of Kothmann family members, the graveyard began with the burial of Heinrich Conrad Kothmann in 1881. His wife Ilse is buried beside him. Their son Karl, the first of their family born in Texas, is buried here along with his wife Katherine (Hoerster) Kothmann. A fifth unmarked grave is thought to be that of a grandchild.
Though most of the land was sold after Ilse's death in 1905, the family retained one acre including the cemetery property. The concrete wall and slab were constructed after 1937 to provide protection and ease in maintenance for the five graves. The family maintains the cemetery.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11282.)
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mason County (approx. 6.3 miles away); Site of Fort Mason (approx. 7.3 miles away); Dizenia Peters Todd (approx. 7.6 miles away); Todd Mountain (approx. 7.6 miles away); Two Sheriffs of Mason County (approx. 7.8 miles away); Old Fort Mason (approx. 8.3 miles away); Bethel M.E. Church (approx. 10.5 miles away); Homesite of John O. Meusebach, 1812-1897 (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 440 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 10, 2011, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.