FCMI Store 1858
The building was first the home of the Franklin Cooperative Store, established in 1868. The next year, the Franklin Cooperative Mercantile Institution (FMCI) was established. The Mormon cooperative movement was an attempt to maintain good prices and markets for local products as well as insure that profits would be shared more equally among the residents of the communities.
Local stores , like the FMCI, received supplies from regional centers that purchased goods from the Zion’s Cooperative Mercantile Institution (ZCMI), located in Salt Lake City. In Franklin, the local store leadership included Lorenzo Hill Hatch, president, John Doney, Sr., vice president; William Woodward, William T. Wright and Charles Fox, directors.
In 1923 the Idaho Pioneer Association purchased FCMI building
In the 1880s, the FCMI store was discontinued. Franklin resident Elliott Butterworth, a long time resident, operated Butterworth Hardware in the building until Butterworth organized the Pioneer Association to promote and preserve local history. In this photograph, Elliott Butterworth is standing on the right and his son Leo is on the left.
Erected by Idaho State Historical Society.
Location. 42° 1.033′ N, 111° 48.033′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Idaho, in Franklin County. Marker can be reached from Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin ID 83237, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin Relic Hall - 1937 (a few steps from this marker); S. Milton and Alba C. Webb House (approx. 6.8 miles away in Utah); Pioneer Ferry and Bridge (approx. 9.2 miles away); Bear River Massacre (approx. 10.2 miles away); In Memory of Ira Elias Merrill (approx. 12.6 miles away in Utah).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by Vincent Cascio of Logan, Utah. This page has been viewed 508 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 10, 2011, by Vincent Cascio of Logan, Utah. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.