Near Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
York Redoubt was the heart of the defences protecting the outer harbour approaches to Halifax. Begun in 1793, it was enlarged by the Duke of Kent who constructed a Martello tower here in 1798. The redoubt became an essential link in the communications system protecting the city against surprise attack. Its strategic importance was such that it was rebuilt in the 1860s and 1880s to mount more powerful guns. In the twentieth century York Redoubt became the tactical command centre for all harbour defences. It remained active until 1956.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Government of Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 44° 35.812′ N, 63° 33.19′ W. Marker is near Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker can be reached from York Redoubt Access Road 0.2 kilometers south of Ferguson's Cove Road. Touch for map. The marker is mounted on a boulder inside the grounds of the fort on the right side of a trail going east from the parking area, through the Old Gorge Wall, past the Martello Tower toward the harbour.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Duke of York's Martello Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Passage to a New Beginning • Passage à un nouveau monde (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Pier 21 / Le Quai 21 (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Ships and Men of the Royal Canadian Navy (approx. 5.1 kilometers away); Charles Morris (approx. 5.2 kilometers away); The Tall Ships Parade 2000 (approx. 5.2 kilometers away); The Grand Dérangement (approx. 5.3 kilometers away); Canadian Corps of Commissionaires (approx. 5.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
Additional keywords. fortifications
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. This page has been viewed 640 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 10, 2011, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.