Mendon in Cache County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Restoration of the James G. Willie Home
James G Willie, a pioneer of 1847, led the 4th Mormon Handcart Company to Utah on his return home from a mission to his native England in 1856. He served as Bishop of the Salt Lake 7th Ward and moved to Cache Valley in the spring of 1859 where he helped settle the town of Mendon. He served as mayor and postmaster and ran the co-operative store in Mendon. He was trained as a leather tanner and operated a small farm in Mendon. His wife, Elizabeth Ann, served 18 years as the first Relief Society President in Mendon. They lived in this home for over 40 years. They are buried in the Mendon Cemetery two blocks west of here.
In 1906 the home was sold to Herbert B. Whitney, grandson of Newel K. Whitney,
We kindly thank the Mendon Historical Society, the Utah State Historical Society, the LDS Church Historian's Office, Mendon City officials and many community and family members who have assisted in this ongoing restoration effort.
Paul Willie, 752-8096
Erected by James G. Willie Historic Foundation.
Location. 41° 42.589′ N, 111° 58.764′ W. Marker is in Mendon, Utah, in Cache County. Marker is at the intersection of North 100 West (Utah Route 23) and West 100 North, on the right when traveling south on North 100 West. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 97 N 100 W, Mendon UT 84325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hansen Cooperative Dairy (approx. 6.6 miles away); Julia Budge Nibley House (approx. 7.2 miles away); David Eccles Home (approx. 7.3 miles away); 220 West Center First Hospital (approx. 7.3 miles away); Cache County Relic Hall (approx. 7.4 miles away); Thatcher-Young Mansion (approx. 7½ miles away); Caine Lyric Theater (approx. 7.6 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by Vincent Cascio of Logan, Utah. This page has been viewed 665 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 10, 2011, by Vincent Cascio of Logan, Utah. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.