Manti in Sanpete County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Manti Pioneers
Under direction of Bishop Isaac Morley 224 pioneers arrived in this vicinity Nov. 22, 1849. In response to an invitation from Indian Chief Walker to President Brigham Young. Their first homes were dugouts in the south side of Temple Hill. That winter, heavy snows, loss of animals, famine and serious Indian trouble taxed their endurance.
The following spring they found they had settled in a rattlesnake den. Several hundred reptiles were killed. The City of Manti was surveyed and named in 1850.
Erected 1938 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 32.)
Location. 39° 16.445′ N, 111° 38.082′ W. Marker is in Manti, Utah, in Sanpete County. Marker is at the intersection of East 500 North Street (U.S. 89) and North 100 East Street, on the left when traveling north on East 500 North Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Manti UT 84642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Manti Temple (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sesquicentennial 1849 – 1999 (approx. ¼ mile away); Pioneer Memorial Cabin (approx. John Patten House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Log Fort (approx. 0.4 miles away); Manti City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cox-Shoemaker-Parry House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Manti Carnegie Library (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manti.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.