Swanton in Franklin County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Missisquoi Village and Mission
Swanton / Highgate
The ancient Missisquoi / Mazipskoik Abenaki village was the region's focal point into the 1760's. In 1744, Jesuits built a cabin which served into the 1790's as the first longterm Christian mission in Vermont. Speculators took much of the Abenaki land by 1798, but the Abenaki Nation of Missisquoi survived. In the 1860's, Swanton historian John Perry lamented the hasty destruction of the old village noting its antiquity and great importance to all. Nearby, the Abenakis live quietly to this day.
Erected 1993 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 55.989′ N, 73° 7.15′ W. Marker is in Swanton, Vermont, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street (U.S. 7) and Monument Road, on the left when traveling north on Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Swanton VT 05488, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saxe's Mills (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Bohannon Site (approx. 6.1 miles away); Camp Holbrook (approx. 7.4 miles away); Fenian Raids (approx. 8.5 miles away); St. Albans Raid Colonel Elisha Sheldon (approx. 9.1 miles away); Sheldon, Vermont (approx. 9.3 miles away); Missile Site (approx. 9.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The previous marker at this site is now on display (sort of) at the Swanton Historical Society Railroad Depot Museum, located at 58 South River Street in Swanton. The museum offers an interesting cornucopia of the history of the area and is open limited days and hours between May and October (www.swantonhistoricalsociety.org).
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.