Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Brooke Cemetery
In 1980, the burial site was discovered accidentally during the construction of the city parking complex. One hundred and two soldiers and civilians were reburied at Oaklawn Cemetery, March 24, 1981, while the spirit of 42 Seminoles were put to rest with the essence of burning herbs at the Seminole Shrine at Orient Road, August 5, 1981.
Erected by Tampa Historical Society.
Location. 27° 56.754′ N, 82° 27.418′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on North Franklin Street north of East Whiting Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located downtown, on William F. Poe Plaza in the Tampa City Center complex. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Franklin Street, Tampa FL 33602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure (a few steps from this marker); Great 1909 Auto Race Officers Quarters Fort Brooke (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capt. James McKay, I (1808 - 1876) (about 400 feet away); William F. Poe Plaza (about 400 feet away); Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D. (about 500 feet away); The Rough Riders Passed By Here (about 600 feet away); Tampa Salutes MacDill AFB (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the crest of the Tampa Historical Society.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,076 times since then. Last updated on July 17, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.