Atchison in Atchison County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Atchison County Historic Site
"Put the children together, leave them alone, and they will work it out."
Dave Carey, Sr. 1955, on integrating Atchison Public Schools
The Lincoln School in Atchison, Kansas began in 1921 as the school for all African-American students through 8th grade, but it became much more than that. It became the hub of the community and then the focal point for the drive to integrate the school system in Atchison.
With the start of classes in September, 1955, Atchison and the Lincoln School became the first community in Kansas to comply with the Brown v. Topeka Board of Education decision to end segregation in the schools.
Led by Principal Evelyn Weaver (Harper) starting in 1947, Lincoln School prepared students for life and laid the groundwork for ending segregation. Parents became involved in the community, students were taught to excel, and a well rounded program of education, extra-curricular activities, thrift programs, sports and mandated teacher involvement promoted this school as the center of the community.
Lincoln School is a significant site because it tells the story of generatinos of African-American students in Atchison, Kansas and how they lived in the days of segregated schools, but also because of the central role the school held during the move to integrate and give equal educational
to open the day
Father we thank Thee for the night,
And for the pleasant morning light,
For rest and food and loving care,
And all that makes the world so fair,
Help us to do the things we should,
To be to others kind and good,
In all we do and all we say,
To grow more loving every day.
The Lincoln School is on the National Register of Historic Places. The school first opened for students in September 1921, the gymnasium, the only major addition to the structure, was added in 1937. The school served as the school for African-American students until integration was completed in 1955. It remained in use as one of the school district's five elementary schools until 1997.
Erected by Atchison Sertoma, Lincoln School Alumni, and the Atchison County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 34.293′ N, 95° 7.389′ W. Marker is in Atchison, Kansas, in Atchison County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and Division Street, on the left when traveling north on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Division Street, Atchison KS 66002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Webster Wirt Hetherington House (approx. ¼ mile away); B. P. Waggener House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Muchnic House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lincoln Address (approx. 0.4 miles away); Atchison County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Atchison Post Office (approx. 0.6 miles away); Birth Place of Amelia Earhart (approx. 0.6 miles away); Founding of the Santa Fe Railway (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atchison.
Also see . . .
1. Lincoln School National Register Nomination. (Submitted on July 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Atchison County Historical Society. (Submitted on July 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site. (Submitted on July 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 643 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.