Near Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
On December 31, 1821, a 78-mile state road was authorized from the Ohio border to Indianapolis through Brookville, to be built with required citizen labor. Commissioners filed a survey report June 24, 1822 for the Brookville State Road. On January 24, 1828, a turnpike company was authorized to build an improved road by bidding out sections.
Brookville Road was the principal route for goods and people from here to Cincinnati. Road travel was difficult in the 1800s, taking days to reach destinations. Taverns provided shelter and food for travelers. Along the road in Warren Township, Marion County, taverns were kept by David Woods in the 1820s and Nathan Harlan in the 1830s - 1840s.
Erected 2004 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Environmental Law & Policy Center of The Midwest, and Southeast Civic Association. (Marker Number 49.2004.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 44.373′ N, 85° 58.687′ W. Marker is near Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is on Brookville Road (U.S. 52) east of Whispering Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sarah T. Bolton (approx. 6.7 miles away); Woodruff Place (approx. 8.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Southport (approx. 8.4 miles away); Fort Benjamin Harrison (approx. 8.5 miles away but has been reported missing); Former U.S. Arsenal (approx. 8.6 miles away); Mary Bryan, Pioneer Woman (approx. 9 miles away); 28th Regiment USCT (approx. 9 miles away); Holy Rosary - Danish Church Historic District (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 386 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 18, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.