South Dakota State Capitol
South Dakota's capitol is a fine example of Renaissance Revival architecture. Exterior features include a copper dome and graceful Corinthian columns. A grand marble staircase, faux marble columns, colorful stained glass ceilings, and mosaic tile floors grace the interior.
In time for the state centennial in 1989, the capitol was restored to its original 1910 splendor. The historic colors, character, and luster of the building were handsomely revived. Truly the people's statehouse, the capitol is open for visitors. Please enjoy the beautiful building and grounds.
Capitol Lake was built in 1913. The 92-degree water comes from a natural artesian well. The lake is the site of South Dakota's service memorials to veterans, law enforcement officers, and firefighters. The warm water never freezes, making it home to thousands of geese and other waterfowl during the winter.
The city of Pierre is strongly associated with the capitol. The dome served as a backdrop for city life as shown in this 1929 photo of the Capital City Cowboys.
Geese and other waterfowl crowd the warm waters of Capitol Lake during the winter months.
Erected by South Dakota State Historical Society.
Location. 44° 21.993′ N, 100° 20.817′ W. Marker is in Pierre, South Dakota, in Hughes County. Marker is on E. Capitol Ave., on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pierre SD 57501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (within shouting distance of this marker); Combat Wounded Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers' & Sailors' World War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker).
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 619 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.