Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Greensburg in Decatur County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Escape of Caroline, 1847

 
 
Side 'One' - - Escape of Caroline, 1847 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
1. Side 'One' - - Escape of Caroline, 1847 Marker
Inscription.

Side one:

Caroline and her four children escaped Kentucky slave owner October 31, 1847; they crossed Ohio River near Madison. After passing near here, Fugit Township black and white residents hid family close to Clarksburg. While hidden, family seized by a white resident, but escaped before owner claimed them. Residents separated family to avoid another capture.

Side two:

Family members safely escorted from Decatur County and reunited in Union County. Family reached Canada. The Underground Railroad refers to a widespread network of diverse people in the nineteenth century who aided slaves escaping to freedom from the southern U.S.
 
Erected 2008 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Decatur County Freedom Trails Association, and the Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology; IDNR. (Marker Number 16.2008.1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 22.724′ N, 85° 23.417′ W. Marker is near Greensburg, Indiana, in Decatur County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road N80NE and Road E280N, on the right when traveling south on County Road N80NE. Touch for map. Located
Side 'Two' - - Escape of Caroline, 1847 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
2. Side 'Two' - - Escape of Caroline, 1847 Marker
in Cemetery across the County road from the "Kingston Presbyterian Church" (to the North/East of Greensburg, Indiana.). Marker is in this post office area: Greensburg IN 47240, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War General John T. Wilder (approx. 5.5 miles away); The Naegel Building (approx. 5.7 miles away); Donnell -V.- State, 1852 (approx. 5.7 miles away); Colonel Thomas Hendricks / Elizabeth Trimble Hendricks (approx. 5.7 miles away); Decatur County All Wars Memorial (approx. 5.8 miles away); Decatur County Civil War Memorial (approx. 5.8 miles away); Spanish American War Veterans (approx. 5.8 miles away); Decatur County Court House (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .  Indiana Historical Bureau (IHB). The IHB provides reference notes on the text of this marker. (Submitted on February 6, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansWar, US Civil
 
Looking South - - Escape of Caroline, 1847 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
3. Looking South - - Escape of Caroline, 1847 Marker
Looking North - - Escape of Caroline, 1847 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
4. Looking North - - Escape of Caroline, 1847 Marker
"Kingston Presbyterian Church" - Founded in 1823 image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
5. "Kingston Presbyterian Church" - Founded in 1823
The "Kingston Presbyterian Church" is across the County road from the Cemetery.
Sign - - "Kingston Presbyterian Church" - Founded in 1823 image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
6. Sign - - "Kingston Presbyterian Church" - Founded in 1823
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 566 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 19, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement