Atchison in Atchison County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Birthplace of the Santa Fe Railway Company
The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe
Railway Company in Atchison, Kansas
February 11, 1859
From this small beginning - a rail line connecting Atchison and Topeka, Kansas - a great transportation system evolved bringing much pride and renown to our city which gave its name to an institution of vital importance to this area & the nation.
Dedicated May 15, 1965
Erected 1965 by The City of Atchison, Kansas.
Location. 39° 33.597′ N, 95° 7.639′ W. Marker is in Atchison, Kansas, in Atchison County. Touch for map. Marker is accessible from the Santa Fe Depot parking lot, 200 South 10th Street (US Route 73). Marker is in this post office area: Atchison KS 66002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Working Men of the Railroads (a few steps from this marker); 4th of July, 1804 Creek (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bridge Over 4th of July 1804 Creek (about 500 feet away); Atchison County World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Atchison County Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall Founding of the Santa Fe Railway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Atchison Post Office (approx. 0.4 miles away); Birth Place of Amelia Earhart (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atchison.
Also see . . .
1. Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society. (Submitted on July 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company. (Submitted on July 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.