Princeton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This building, erected in 1756 by the College of New Jersey and named Nassau Hall in honor of King William III, was seized by British forces for military purposes in 1776, and retaken by the American Army January 3, 1777.
Here met from June 30, 1783 until Nov. 4, 1788, the Continental Congress, and here Aug. 26, 1783, General Washington received the grateful acknowledgements of the Congress for his services in establishing the freedom and independence of the United States of America.
October 21, 1896, by the
Society of Sons of
the Revolution in the
State of New Jersey
Erected 1896 by Society of Sons of the Revolution in the State of New Jersey.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 40° 20.929′ N, 74° 39.565′ W. Marker is in Princeton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from Nassau Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of Princeton University. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton NJ 08542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Princeton University (here, next to this marker); Princeton Speech 250th Anniversary of Princeton University (within shouting distance of this marker); English Boxwood Plants (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Henry House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Presidentís House (within shouting distance of this marker); Reunion Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Princeton WW2 Memorial (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
Also see . . . The Battle of Princeton. The American Revolutionary War website. (Submitted on July 21, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Education • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 544 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 21, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.