Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Founded in Penfield, Georgia, January 14, 1833, as Mercer Institute, Mercer University, the “oldest child” of the Georgia Baptist Convention, has been the chief source of Baptist ministerial and lay leaders through the years. Among the many notable Baptists who established this institution, three stand out: Josiah Penfield, whose legacy launched the movement; Jesse Mercer, who nurtured and supported the project; Billington M. Sanders, who, which Cynthia Holiday Sanders (Old Miss), fostered it through the first seven years. Mercer was one of the few colleges in the South that remained open during the War Between the States and the only one for men in Georgia. It was moved to Macon in 1871.
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 011-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 49.883′ N, 83° 38.833′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Coleman Avenue and College Street, on the right when traveling east on Coleman Avenue. Touch for map. The marker stands just inside the entrance to Mercer University. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 Coleman Avenue, Macon GA 31207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Birthplace of Sidney Lanier (approx. ¾ mile away); Site: Wesleyan College (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wesleyan College (approx. 0.8 miles away); Vineville United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Peter Claver Catholic Church and School (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); The First Baptist Church of Christ (approx. 0.9 miles away); City Hall & Old Capitol (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Also see . . . Mercer University website. (Submitted on July 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 616 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on November 3, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.