Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Dunlap House

←←←

 
 
The Dunlap House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, October 7, 2016
1. The Dunlap House Marker
Inscription. The only battles fought at Macon took place here. Twice the Federals attacked Macon, emplanting their cannon on this farm, and twice they were repulsed. In the first attack under Gen. Stoneman on July 30, 1864, they shelled Macon from 10 A.M. until the late afternoon. “The residence of Mrs. Dunlap was occupied by the Federals who tore down her stabling and erected a temporary entrenchment across her yard.” The second attack was made Nov. 20, 1864 by General Kilpatrick who also crossed Walnut Creek and attacked from the same point.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 011-3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 32° 50.58′ N, 83° 36.214′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Ocmulgee National Park Road 0.2 miles from Emery Highway (U.S. 80), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1207 Emery Highway, Macon GA 31217, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battles of Dunlap Farm (a few steps from this marker); William Bartram Trail (about
The Dunlap House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, October 7, 2016
2. The Dunlap House Marker
300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Dunlap House (about 700 feet away); Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's Raid (about 700 feet away); Fort Hawkins (approx. 0.6 miles away); War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Hawkins (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
 
More about this marker. This marker and the adjacent Battles of Dunlap Farm marker were located on Emery Highway (U.S. 80) just to the west of the entrance to the Ocmulgee National Monument, at the fence line (32 50.883′ N, 83 36.217′ W). They were moved to their present location just inside the park along the park road across from the Dunlap House itself.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Dunlap House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, October 7, 2016
3. The Dunlap House Marker
The Dunlap House and Farm Markers at their Previous Location image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
4. The Dunlap House and Farm Markers at their Previous Location
Looking east on Emery Highway, US 23-80-129, the Battles of Dunlap Farm markers is closest, with the Dunlap House marker in the distance, near the entrance to the Ocmulgee National Monument. Both markers have been relocated to inside the park (turn right at the light and go 2/10th of a mile to find them).
The Dunlap House image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
5. The Dunlap House
Built c.1856, today the house is the residence of the Superintendent of the Ocmulgee National Monument.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 846 times since then and 79 times this year. Last updated on July 25, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 12, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.   4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement