West Glacier in Flathead County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
History of the Lake McDonald Lodge
Because no roads were built to the lodge until 1921, its “front” faces the lakeshore to greet guests who arrived by boat.
Location. 48° 37.041′ N, 113° 52.769′ W. Marker is in West Glacier, Montana, in Flathead County. Marker can be reached from Lake McDonald Lodge Loop 0.1 miles west of Going-To-The-Sun-Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Lake McDonald Lodge. Marker is in this post office area: West Glacier MT 59936, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Boats (within shouting distance of this marker); Time Machines (within shouting distance of this marker); A Glacial Lake (approx. 0.4 miles away); Horns (approx. 9.1 miles away); Stephen Tyng Mather (approx. 9.2 miles away); Choosing a Route (approx. 10.2 miles away).
More about this marker. On the upper right
"In 1895 George Snyder built a two-story frame hotel at this site. John and Olive Lewis purchased the Snyder Hotel in 1906, built a number of guests cabins to meet increasing demand, and renamed it the Lewis Glacier Hotel. The photo shows the original Snyder Hotel complex."
"The interior of the main hotel was intended to give the impression of a hunting lodge. A totem pole was included in the exterior scene even though local tribes did not use them in their traditions."
"For many years large horse parties travelled into the backcountry from this hotel. In 1930 the National Park Service bought the Lewis Glacier Hotel and changed its name to the Lake McDonald Lodge."
Also see . . .
1. Lake McDonald Lodge. Glacier Park, Inc. (Submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Glacier National Park. U.S. National Park Service (Submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 469 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 3. submitted on July 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 4. submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.