Langdon in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Francis de Sales Church
with oldest continuing congregation
in District of Columbia
attended mass at chapel within Queen family mansion,
on site approximately at present Everts Street, N.E.,
near 20th Street. Building came to be called Queen’s
Chapel. Destroyed by fire three times: in American
Revolution (date uncertain); War of 1812 (1814); and
Civil War (1862). Rebuilt each time; last time as
St. Francis De Sales Church (1908). Each new building
attended by members of congregation that had
attended at older building. St. Francis De Sales
Church moved to present site in 1927. Last
Queen’s Chapel building is now gone.
Erected by St. Francis De Sales R. C. Church.
Location. 38° 55.754′ N, 76° 58.541′ W. Marker is in Langdon, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Rhode Island Avenue, NE (U.S. 1) east of 20th Street, NE, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2015 Rhode Island Avenue, NE, Washington DC 20018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 6 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 5 (approx. one mile away); Charles Richard Drew Memorial Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Historic Fort Lincoln Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away in Maryland); Barney Monument (approx. 1.2 miles away in Maryland); Battle of Bladensburg (approx. 1.2 miles away in Maryland); Fort Lincoln Mausoleum (approx. 1.2 miles away in Maryland); Little Church of Fort Lincoln (approx. 1.2 miles away in Maryland).
Also see . . . History of St. Francis de Sales Church. (Submitted on July 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Roman Catholic
Categories. • 20th Century • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 542 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.