First Baptist Church of Kountze
In 1908 a loan from the Southern Baptist Convention to the First Baptist Church of Kountze facilitated the erection of a frame structure on Redwood Street. It was located two blocks from the original building, which had become the Methodist Church.
In 1951 fundraising and planning began for a new brick building, dedicated in 1955. By 1979, a two-story wing was added; in the 1980s the church library and sanctuary were expanded and new youth programs established. The First Baptist Church of Kountze marked its 100th anniversary with a celebration lasting from the spring of 1990 to January of 1993. With such developments as a new fellowship hall added in 1997, the church continues to serve the community.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11931.)
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of Kountze (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hooks Abstract Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Braxton Bragg, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courthouses of Hardin County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hardin County (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.