Council Grove in Morris County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Masonic Lodge Hall
—Philomathian Heritage Plaque —
The Council Grove Lodge and Accepted Masons of Council Grove erected this two-story building of brick made in the local kiln. It was dedicated June 24, 1884.
In 1910 an agreement was made with T. W. Whiting to build an addition with the upper hall to be used as a dining room. The second story has been used continously by the Lodge since 1884.
Thomas White was the first Master of Council Grove Lodge #36, A.F.&A.M.
Erected by G. F. C. W. Philomathian Club.
Location. 38° 39.689′ N, 96° 29.373′ W. Marker is in Council Grove, Kansas, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 56) and Wood Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 West Main Street, Council Grove KS 66846, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hays House (a few steps from this marker); A Well-furnished Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Council Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Council Grove National Bank Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Conn Store Malcolm Conn Store (about 300 feet away); Farmers & Drovers Bank (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Council Grove (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Council Grove.
Also see . . .
1. Council Grove, Kansas. (Submitted on July 27, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Council Grove, Kansas. (Submitted on July 27, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 357 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.