Huntington High School
Huntington High School opened in the fall of 1918. The site was donated to the Huntington School System by the son of General Slack and in honor his father General James R. Slack who had distinguished himself during the Civil War as a general. it was declared the most beautiful building in the city and the pride of the town. It was built of the finest materials. It contained four floors, a gym. and an ornately decorated auditorium with hand-painted murals on either side of the stage. In 1955 an addition to the school was completed which included a cafeteria, elevator, extra classrooms, and a new WVSH radiobroadcasting studio.
Location. 40° 53.148′ N, 85° 29.719′ W. Marker is in Huntington, Indiana, in Huntington County. Marker is at the intersection of Guilford St. and E. John St. (Road Hunting), on the left when traveling south on Guilford St.. Touch for map. This marker in a flower bed at the Southwest
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General James R. Slack (here, next to this marker); Huntington County Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Rock House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burk's Lock (about 700 feet away); Canal Landing on Washington Street / Jefferson Park Mall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Otto U. King, D.D.S., F.A.C.D. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Huntington County War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ex Parte Milligan (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntington.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2011, by Willard McKinzie of Huntington, Indiana. This page has been viewed 525 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2011, by Willard McKinzie of Huntington, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.