Colfax in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Colfax Passenger Depot
15 January 1999
Built in 1905 by Southern Pacific Railroad in what SPRR called the Colonnade style. It is the only remaining depot of this type in Placer County. It was used as a passenger depot until 30 April 1971.
This structure replaced the original Central Pacific Depot constructed in 1865. It included the Western Union Telegraph office, Wells Fargo Express office and a restaurant. It was destroyed by fire Tuesday morning, 26 September 1905.
The station was the terminus for the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad from 1876 to 1942. The NCNG hauled gold, lumber, fruit and passengers to the main line of the Transcontinental Railroad.
Begun in earnest in the late 1900ís, the depot renovation project included temporarily moving the entire building so that a new cement foundation could be constructed. In 2005 the completed preservation and conversion includes a museum, visitors center and waiting room for Amtrack.
5 November 2005
Erected 2005 by City of Colfax, Colfax Area Historical Society and the United Auburn Indian Community.
Location. 39° 5.961′ N, 120° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 99 Railroad Street, Colfax CA 95713, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Colfax (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad (about 300 feet away); Robert G. Fowler - Colfax (about 300 feet away); Schuyler Colfax (about 300 feet away); Colfax Record (about 400 feet away); First Brick Building in Colfax (about 500 feet away); Leopold & Josephine Lobner (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colfax.
Also see . . . The Central Pacific Photographic Histoy Museum. (Submitted on July 28, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 28, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.