Special elections were held in 1872 wherein bonds totaling $20,000 were issued for construction. A two story courthouse with a clock tower was completed June 28, 1873 at a cost of $16,500. In 1901 a special election voted bonds for a new courthouse and other county buildings. When the new structure was completed in 1905, the original courthouse was razed. Four elections were held from 1902 to 1905 to authorize the sale of this block, but dedicated work by the Women’s Park Association maintained this site was a memorial to Hall County pioneers. In 1964 action was brought to construct a new post office on this land and a 1970 election was held to locate a new library here, but
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 55.334′ N, 98° 20.738′ W. Marker is in Grand Island, Nebraska, in Hall County. Marker is at the intersection of West 2nd Street and Cleburn St. on West 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Island NE 68801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Island Public School Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lincoln Memorial Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Dodge School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martin Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Federal Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort O. K. Cannon (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Yancey (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Island.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Pioneer Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.