Original Townsite of Wood River
The Original town of Wood River, named for the tree-lined river directly north, was platted around a station established here by the Union Pacific Railroad in 1866. Jackson moved his store to the settlement, and a log Catholic Church and settlers’ school were built by 1869.
In 1874-75 the Union Pacific platted the present town of Wood River about three miles east. The station, post office, and Jackson’s store were placed on skids and moved to the new location. In 1990 only St. Mary’s Cemetery and the District 5 school marked the original townsite.
Erected by Hall County Historical Society, Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 336.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wood River Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Meisner Bank Building (approx. 4˝ miles away); Shelton Pioneers (approx. 4˝ miles away); Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsman’s Echo (approx. 4.6 miles away); Martin Brothers Historic Memorial (approx. 9.1 miles away); The Soldiers Free Homestead Colony (approx. 10.7 miles away); Memorial Tree (approx. 10.7 miles away); Gibbon (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.