Civilian Conservation Corps Camps
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a Federal work-relief program during the Great Depression. From 1933 to 1942, the CCC provided work for 31,097 jobless men in South Dakota -- about 22,000 enrollees (single men aged 17-25), about 1,700 veterans, 4,554 American Indians and 2,834 supervisors. The U. S. Army provided 200-man camps, food, clothing, medical care and pay, and educational, recreational and religious programs. The Office of Indian Affairs provided similar services for units on Indian reservations.
Work projects, supervised by the National Park Service, were in the 243,302-acre Badlands National Monument. Enrollees constructed a 20,000-gallon sump and pump house on the White River, 5 miles of ditch 6 to 12 feet deep, a reservoir 9 feet deep and 50 feet in diameter at Cedar Pass, and the connecting 4- and 6-inch pipes. They built the checking station at Pinnacles and the custodian's residence at Cedar Pass,graveled Sage Creek road, back-sloped roadsides and surveyed proposed development sites. Camp NP-3 was established to eliminate traveling 40 miles each way from Camp NP-2 to build the water system.
Erected 1990 by CCC Alumni, The South Dakota State Historical Society,The State Department of Transportation and Badlands National Park.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 43° 49.577′ N, 101° 54.029′ W. Marker is in Philip, South Dakota, in Haakon County. Marker is on State Highway 240 0.9 miles south of Interstate 90, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philip SD 57567, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Typical Sod House Homesteader (approx. 0.3 miles away); Closer than You Imagined (approx. half a mile away); The Badlands Wall (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cliff Shelf Nature Trail (approx. 5½ miles away).
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 638 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.