Campsite of General Custer's Expedition
August 1 - 6, 1874
The expedition party totaled about 1000 men, 1900 horses and mules, 300 beef cattle and 110 wagons. In addition to the cavalry, the personnel included nearly 100 Indian scouts, guides, interpreters, engineers, newspaper correspondents, two practical miners, and a photographer. This is said to have been the largest and best equipped expedition ever assembled, up to that time, for military exploration duty in the Northwest. The entire valley was scattered with their tents and wagons during their stay.
Gold was first discovered in French Creek, which runs through the valley, by Horatio N. Ross. This discovery of gold led to the first Miners' Organization in the Black Hills which formed around a campfire on August 5, 1874. Because of the discovery of gold here, General Custer gave to this place the name of "Golden Valley."
General Custer sent a scout messenger out from this camp to carry the word to Ft. Laramie that gold had been discovered on French Creek. This caused a stampede over the country
Erected 1971 by Custer Co. Hist. Soc., State Hist. Soc., and State Highway Dept.
Location. 43° 46.216′ N, 103° 32.304′ W. Marker is in Custer, South Dakota, in Custer County. Marker is on Stockade Lake Road (U.S. 16) just from County Route 346. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Custer SD 57730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Needles Eye (approx. 5 miles away); The Hearst Highway (approx. 6.1 miles away); Peter Norbeck (approx. 8 miles away); Rushmore Workers (approx. 8.4 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 8½ miles away); History of the United States of America (approx. 8½ miles away); (Mount Rushmore) Chronology (approx. 8½ miles away); George Washington (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Custer.
Categories. • Exploration • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 955 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.