Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kearney in Buffalo County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Baldwin Engine 481

 
 
Baldwin Engine 481 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 29, 2011
1. Baldwin Engine 481 Marker
Inscription. Baldwin Built engine 481 in 1903. The original number was 1902, but was later renumbered 841 in 1915. It was used on the main line branch lines of the Union Pacific Railroad in Kansas until the winter of 1954-55, when it was brought to Kearney Branch. It was the last steam locomotive to operate on that branch and completed its last run there on August 2, 1955. In August of 1955, it was taken to Columbus, Nebraska, and used on the branch line there. It was brought back to the Pioneer Park in Kearney in June 1958 and remained on display there until being moved to the Trails and Rails Museum on February 17, 1977. Donated by the City of Kearney.
 
Erected 1977 by Trails to Rails Museum.
 
Location. 40° 41.094′ N, 99° 5.55′ W. Marker is in Kearney, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker can be reached from West 11th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kearney NE 68845, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Loup River Freighter Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Shelton Union Pacific Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); German Baptist Church of the Brethren (within shouting distance of this
Baldwin Engine 481 image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 29, 2011
2. Baldwin Engine 481
marker); Boyd House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Kearney (about 600 feet away); Kearney: From the Beginning (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Bauer Drug (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Oregon Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kearney.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement