Loup River Freighter Hotel
The house originally had a wing behind the kitchen. This wing contained a dining room on the main floor, two bedrooms on the second floor for freighters, and a cellar. The freighter used the room to the right of the front door as a parlor and the Lolone family used the room to th left of the front door as a parlor.
Mr. Lalone lost the house and property in a sheriff’s sale in 1893. It was purchased by Felix and Flavia Eckhout. Four generations of Eckhout family lived in the house until they donated it to the Trails and Rails Museum of the Buffalo County Historical Society in 1983.
Erected 1983 by Buffalo County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 41.081′ N, 99° 5.548′ W. Marker is in Kearney, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baldwin Engine 481 (a few steps from this marker); German Baptist Church of the Brethren (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelton Union Pacific Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Boyd House (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Kearney (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kearney: From the Beginning (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Bauer Drug (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Oregon Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kearney.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.