The National Road
The National Road was, outside of the navigable rivers and harbors, the first great internal improvement of the fledgling nation, the United States of America.
This road commenced at Cumberland, Maryland and continued through the mountains to Brownsville; Washington, Pennsylvania; Wheeling, West Virginia; Zanesville, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio and Springfield, Ohio.
the final Federal appropriation was made in 1836 and the final Federal work on the continuous and contiguous part of the highway was completed west of Springfield in 1838.
This road opened a relatively easy route for settlement of the great Great Lakes heartland of the United States and provided in return an outlet for the growing number of farm and manufactured products of this area.
Erected 1969 by Clark County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 55.581′ N, 83° 50.826′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Ohio, in Clark County. Marker is at the intersection of W. National Road and Snyder Park Road
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennsylvania House / The National Road (approx. ¾ mile away); Snyder Park (approx. 1.1 miles away); Davey Moore Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Eliza D. Stewart (approx. 1½ miles away); Clark County Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); John Ludlow (approx. 1½ miles away); Oliver Smith Kelly (approx. 1½ miles away); James Leffel (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.