Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Thornton in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Yellow House

In the Village of Thornton Founded 1687

 

—Thornbury Township, Delaware County, PA —

 
Yellow House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, May 23, 2011
1. Yellow House Marker
Inscription. This Building has served from its beginning in the early 1700’s as a Country Inn, General Store, Field Hospital for the Revolutionary soldiers in the Battle of the Brandywine Sept. 1777, oldest U.S. Post office in continuous operation since its founding Feb. 25, 1829 (During the Presidency of Andrew Jackson), A cloth factory, Village market, Antique shop, Artists studio, & a continuing community center.

“Pace One” Restaurant & Country Inn was formally the barn for the “Yellow House Inn”. With extra large hay mow capacity for the needs of oxen, horses, & cattle in the commerce of travelers & drovers from the far corners of Chester & Lancaster Counties to the Port Cities of Philadelphia & Chester, which required overnight stays even with Stage Coach or horseback speeds.

The old Chester County seat was moved from the city of Chester to the more central location of West Chester in 1786, to reduce the costs & traveling time. Delaware County was created in 1789 by dividing Chester County thru the then very large Thornbury Township, along the abutting property lines of farmers, who chose between each county in which they wished to remain.

Thus, with cannon & guns in place in West Chester, a decision was reached, just before a shot was fired, to create Delaware County, resulting in an unusually irregular county

Yellow House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, May 23, 2011
2. Yellow House Marker
line dividing these two Thornbury townships.

The seat of Delaware County was moved from Chester to Media in 1851 amid rumbling of the political “Guns”.
 
Location. 39° 54.455′ N, 75° 31.868′ W. Marker is in Thornton, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Glen Mills Road and Thornton Road, on the right when traveling east on Glen Mills Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thornton PA 19373, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Historic Village of Thornton (a few steps from this marker); Jimmy Carter (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fanny M Jackson Coppin (approx. 1.8 miles away); Colonial Gristmill (approx. 1.8 miles away); 1704 House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Battle of Brandywine (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Newlin Mill Complex (approx. 1.8 miles away); Dilworthtown (approx. 2 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PlacesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary

 
1900's Post Card of Yellow House as the Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Public Domain
3. 1900's Post Card of Yellow House as the Post Office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 708 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on August 19, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement