Fort Washington in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Washington Park
Erected by National Park Service - U.S, Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 42.776′ N, 77° 1.924′ W. Marker is in Fort Washington, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Fort Washington Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The park is south of Washington, D.C. on the east bank of the Potomac River, opposite Fort Hunt Park and the George Washington Parkway on the west (Virginia) bank. From the Capital Beltway (I-95/495), take Indian Head Highway (Md. 210) south to Fort Washington Road and follow National Park Service signs west to the park entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13551 Fort Washington Road, Fort Washington MD 20744, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery Decatur and Disappearing Guns (within shouting distance of this marker); Capital Guardian (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Capital Guardian (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Capital Guardian (about 300 feet away); Main Gateway (about 700 feet away); The Northwest Demi-Bastion (about 800 feet away); “Warburton Manor” (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Water Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Washington.
More about this marker. The marker is inside the park on the path between the main parking lot and the visitor center.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Washington Park virtual tour by markers.
Also see . . .
1. Civil War Defenses of Washington. (Submitted on January 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail. (Submitted on January 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Fort Washington. National Park Service site on the Fort. (Submitted on January 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
4. Firing a 32-Pdr Seacoast Gun. YouTube video of the firing of a 32-pdr seacoast gun at Fort Delaware. Similar pieces armed Fort Washington prior to and during the Civil War. (Submitted on January 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Fort Washington in the Civil War
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
The initial design of the fort was drafted by Pierre L'Enfant, better known for his layout of Washington, D.C. At the start of the Civil War the fort was in caretaker status, and not manned. Fearing southern sympathizers would overtake the fort (and thus blockade the capital city), a detachment of forty Marines were sent to garrison the fort on January 5, 1861. Later in the war detachments of regular U.S. Artillery batteries served at the fort.
After the Civil War, the fort was again abandoned. In 1896 the site was reactivated and used as the center once again for the defenses of Washington. Six 10-inch disappearing guns sat in concrete fortifications
— Submitted January 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Natural Features • Notable Events • War of 1812 • War, Spanish-American • War, US Civil • War, World I • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,481 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 5, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on January 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 10. submitted on August 17, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.