Vore Buﬀalo Jump
Tribes from across the northern Plains used the natural sinkhole, now known as the Vore Buffalo Jump, to trap bison between 1500 A.D. and 1800 A.D. The site's location at the interface between the open buffalo pastures of the plains and the shelter of the Black Hills, made it a magnet for the many groups vying for the area. native peoples used this site during a period of rapid and unprecedented cultural change partially brought about by the entry of European goods and people into the region. Huge volumes of bone and assorted artifacts have been held in place by the bowl shape of the sinkhole. These remains were quickly covered by sediments and are perfectly preserved in discrete, precisely datable layers. Archaeological study at the site has revealed much fascinating evidence about this period and its people.
Following the site's discovery during
Location. 44° 32.168′ N, 104° 9.434′ W. Marker is in Aladdin, Wyoming, in Crook County. Marker is on Old U.S. 14 2.8 miles east of Wyoming Highway 111. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aladdin WY 82710, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ideal Hunting Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Preparing for Impending Blizzards (within shouting distance of this marker); Understanding Bison Behavior Brought Success (within shouting distance of this marker); Paha Sapa, Black Hills (approx. 2.5 miles away); Petrified Trees (approx. 2.5 miles away); a different marker also named The Vore Buffalo Jump (approx. 2.5 miles away); Bird of the Black Hills (approx. 2.5 miles away); Rich Colors, Rich Lands (approx. 2.5 miles away).
Categories. • Animals • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,019 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.