Liberty in Clay County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Civil War Memorial
Erected 1931 by the William Jewell class of 1931.
Location. 39° 14.918′ N, 94° 24.795′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Missouri, in Clay County. Marker can be reached from East Mississippi Street 0.1 miles east of North Jewell Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the pathway approximately 100' northwest from the entrance to the Grand River Chapel on the campus of William Jewell College. Marker is at or near this postal address: 544 East Mississippi, Liberty MO 64068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mass Grave Site (here, next to this marker); Grand River Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); The Trenches On The Hill "The Old Graveyard" "Mt. Memorial Cemetery" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goldman-Duckworth House (approx. ¼ mile away); Frank Hughes Memorial Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Methodist Episcopal Church Founded 1822 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lightburne Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Regarding Civil War Memorial. Although the verbiage of the marker indicates that the trenches were dug following the Battle of Blue Mills Landing (a.k.a. The Battle of Liberty) September 17, 1861, some historians suggest that the trenches were actually dug in 1862 in anticipation of a Confederate attack on the Federally occupied buildings on the William Jewell campus.
Additional keywords. Battle of Liberty Battle of Blue Mills Landing William Jewell College
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by Tony Meyers of Liberty, Missouri. This page has been viewed 1,367 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2011, by Tony Meyers of Liberty, Missouri. 4, 5. submitted on August 30, 2011, by Tony Meyers of Liberty, Missouri. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.