York in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The outlines of roofs, chimneys, windows and rafters mark the structures which once stood on this site.
A. Unfinished brickwork indicates the shadow of a steep roofed log house built by a prosperous tavernkeeper before 1760.
B. Shortly after 1764, another innkeeper added a two story brick extension onto the rear. As part of the sales agreement, the former owner's widow resided in a chamber above the first floor kitchen.
C. An 1820's Federal style house with a typically broad chimney was erected on the adjoining lot by a tanner and county sheriff.
D. A three floor clothing store replaced the residence of a shopkeeper and local candy manufacturer in the late nineteenth century. The structure was removed in 1798 to extend Cherry Lane to Market St.
E. The existing three bay, four story office building was constructed after the turn of the century by a prominent businessman.
This wall depicts the sequence of occupations which symbolizes York's 200 year evolution from frontier village to urban center.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: York PA 17403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis Miller 1796 - 1882 (within shouting distance of this marker); York and York County World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Thomas Hartley (within shouting distance of this marker); Globe Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Horse Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); The Underground Railroad and Precursors to War (within shouting distance of this marker); York surrenders to save city (within shouting distance of this marker); Articles of Confederation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in York.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Cherry Lane.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 974 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 6, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.