Seven Mile Ford in Smyth County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Seven Mile Ford
Erected 1941 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number K-19.)
Location. 36° 48.528′ N, 81° 37.537′ W. Marker is in Seven Mile Ford, Virginia, in Smyth County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Highway (U.S. 11) and Shamrock Lane, on the left when traveling west on Lee Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marion VA 24354, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Campbell’s Grave (approx. 0.9 miles away); Transportation Through the Ages (approx. 3.2 miles away); Chilhowie (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named Chilhowie (approx. 3.4 miles away); Farthest West, 1750 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Town House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sulphur Springs Church and Campground (approx. 3.7 miles away); Smyth County War Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away).
1. Norfolk and Western Railway
The rail line that ran through Seven Mile Ford when this marker was erected was the Norfolk-Bristol line of the Norfolk and Western Railway, which was headquartered in Roanoke, Virginia. Five passenger trains ran on this line daily in each direction in the 1940s, but only one stopped here, and only if there were passengers waiting to board or de-train. All trains stopped at the next station east, Marion, 6½ miles away. The trains that rushed by without stopping were The Tennessean between Washington and Memphis, The Birmingham Special between New York and Birmingham, The New York, Chattanooga and New Orleans Limited, and the train that would become Southern Railroad’s The Pelican, which was hauled by N&W locomotives between Lynchburg and Bristol.
— Submitted August 6, 2011.
Additional keywords. Norfolk and Western Railroad
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.