Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Antebellum architecture also marked the community’s growing prosperity as well as an interest in the newly fashionable Greek Revival architecture. Stylish homes were added and older homes updated throughout the city environs, building a reputation of a progressive and cultured town.
The Johnston-Jones-Manley House (c.1811) acquired its later Greek Revival façade during the 1840-1850s and was moved 200 feet to face S. Main Street in 1908, thus allowing the construction of the Methodist Church (1914). In 1977, a Manley heir donated the home to the Morgan County Historical Society, Inc., who manages it as a heritage tourism site-Heritage Hall, a house museum with period furnishings.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Location. 33° 35.633′ N, 83° 28.183′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 277 South Main Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reconstruction Property Rights (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Foundation to Consolidation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison (approx. 0.2 miles away); Banking Institutions (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison Historic Cemeteries (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Religious Life (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Town Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Freedom of Assembly (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Also see . . . Heritage Hall. (Submitted on August 7, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 677 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 6. submitted on September 5, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.