From Carriages to Corvettes
Glen Cove Lodge
After the Cog Railway opened in 1891, the road fell into disuse. Then in 1915 Spencer Penrose backed C.E. Nobleís plan to build a Pikes Peak Automobile Highway. Above the ninth mile, workmen had to rest half the time due to the high altitude. Construction costs skyrocketed to over $250,000.
The Pikes Peak Auto Highway Company operated the road until 1935 when it reverted back to the U.S. Forest Service. The road was open as a free state highway until 1948. From then until the present, the City of Colorado Springs has operated the road under a special use permit from the United States Forest Service.
Today over 300,000 people a year enjoy the scenic road up Americaís famous mountain.
Picture captions: In 1920, these sightseers enjoy the view just above Glen Cove. Photo courtesy Pikes Peak Hill Climb Museum. See here near Devilís Playground circa 1925, the Locomobile was used to maintain the highway. Photo courtesy Ute Pass historical Society. These tourists dressed for an open-air ride, pause for a photo in July of 1926 at Glen Cove. Photo courtesy Ute pass Historical Society.
Location. 38° 52.534′ N, 105° 4.384′ W. Marker is near Woodland Park, Colorado, in Teller County. Marker can be reached from Pike's Peak Toll Road. Touch for map. Marker located at the Glen Cove Lodge. Marker is in this post office area: Woodland Park CO 80863, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Race to the Clouds (here, next to this marker); Amazing Pikes Peak Feats (here, next to this marker); Donít kill them with kindness (here, next to this marker); Black (and sometimes brown) Bear (approx. 1.9 miles away); Tricky Affairs (approx. 1.9 miles away); Elk Country (approx. 1.9 miles away); A Look From The Top (approx. 2.3 miles away); Pike's Peak (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodland Park.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 457 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 8, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?